- The unique climate of the Great Lakes Region allows for many successful orchards, vineyards and specialty crops to be grown and harvested (Great Lakes Information Network).
- In Ontario, one-third of the land in the Great Lakes Basin supports the agricultural and food industry (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food).
- The Agricultural and Food Industry in the Great Lakes Basin supports approximately 1.4 million jobs (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food).
- 25% of Canada’s agricultural activity is supported by the Great Lakes (Environment Canada).
- The Great Lakes generate over $15 billion per year through products produced from livestock, corn, dairy, and grain.(Great Lakes Protection Fund).